Thursday, April 10, 2008

Real World Example

The video posted in an earlier post was from Yates Austin of North Carolina. I have been talking with him about how he has come to use Google Sketchup over time. Here is a summary along with a couple of images that he has sent me:

I started using Sketchup 5.0 in late 2005, not too long before Google acquired @Last Software, the creator of Sketchup. I am a CAD operator, with a background in Architectural design and visualization. I transitioned to working on Civil and Structural Engineering projects in late 2007 and introduced Google Sketchup to our office. The benefits of using Sketchup for presenting complicated design information to a non-technical audience was recognized early on, and I’ve begun hosting Lunch & Learn Sessions with the free version of Sketchup 6.0 for civil, structural and geo-technical engineers, geologists and geo-physicists within our office.

Attached are two images of a concrete labyrinth spillway dam. Much of the 3D Geometry for these images was generated in both Civil 3D 2008 (dirt embankments and grading) and Architecture 2008 (concrete walls and slabs).

Happy Sketching!



No comments: